Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Essay on My Parents


I finally got a peek at what my older son is writing for his college essays. Imagine my surprise when the college of choice asked, "What is the best piece of advice you have ever received and why?" and found that he quoted his parents!!! So interesting to see what sinks in.

His take was that we told him to face his fears. He wrote about hiking and climbing in the mountains and how frightened of heights he actually is. This was shocking to me. The boy that rappels and climbs up sheer faces of rocks, jumps off cliffs on skis etc. is actually afraid! Nice to know we had that impact and that he enjoyed so much of what he has. He almost summited Ranier last summer but the weather--major winds--deterred their ascend. He would have missed his chance in the clouds but actually took our advice!!!!

So what would your quote be?

No comments: