Tuesday, September 2, 2008

School crossing

So school starts tomorrow and I find I am extremely depressed. I think that all of the last 15 years of my older son's life I waited with apprehension and excitement as he got ready to leave me and now I know that this is the last year he will "leave me" his first day but will return home.

When I mention this to him, he smiles that damn beautiful broad smile of his (hey--we paid for the orthodontist big time) and I know he is happy. He says, "mom you are just getting old". Zing. Thanks kid. He is happy to be getting ready to take flight. And that is how it should be but still....

And the younger one is nervous. Mostly because he knows that all eyes will soon be turned on him.
Truly, it is a wonderful time of year. The smell of newly sharpened pencils and fresh notebooks with blank pages filled with promise.

This year both will be in the same school. We have two in High School. Unbelievable.....As a headhunter, I see all kinds of people who really think that life is set in High School. Or College, or grad school. They think they know what they will become but I kind of like the words to the John Mayer song, so read and think.

Welcome to the real world
She said to me kind of condescendingly
Take a seat, take your life
Plot it out in black and white
Well I never lived the dreams of the prom kings
And the drama queens
Id like to think the best of me
Is still hiding up my sleeve

They love to tell you stay inside the lines
But somethings better on the other side

I wanna run through the halls of my high school
I wanna scream at the top of my lungs
I just found out theres no such thing as the real world
Just a lie youve got to rise above

So the good boys and girls take the so-called right track
Faded white hats grabbing the credits and making transfers
They read all the books but they cant find the answers
And all of our parents, theyre getting older
I wonder if theyve wished for anything better
While in their memories, tiny tragedies

They love to tell you stay inside the lines
But somethings better on the other side

I wanna run through the halls of my high school
I wanna scream at the top of my lungs
I just found out theres no such thing as the real world
Just a lie youve got to rise above

I am invincible
I am invincible
I am invincible
As long as Im alive

I wanna run through the halls of my high school
I wanna scream at the top of my lungs
I just found out theres no such thing as the real world
Just a lie youve got to rise above

I just cant wait till my ten year reunion
Im gonna bust down the double doors
And when I stand on these tables before you
You will know what all this time was for

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Hey Needle,
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I've read through yours, and although our kids are years apart, seems the universal experience of motherhood rings through.
And incidentally, I've always loved that JM song.
I'll be back.
Danielle