Monday, May 19, 2008

Keep your eyes on the road

and your hands upon the wheel. Who wrote that song? I have been humming it all day.
An apt song for the time. My eldest son has just gotten his adult driver's license. Now he can drive himself places, or he could, if we had a third car. He has been reminding us how convenient it would be if we only had another car.

So yesterday we started shopping for a car. Boy, did I feel old. It didn't help that the salesmen were all about 22. And the exchange went something like this:
The dealer had an earing, slick smile and perfectly waxed eyebrows and a smug look on his face as he said, "so Mom, what kind of vehicle do you want for him?"
And I replied, deadpan, "a tank".

Anyhow, we took a detour to a Volvo dealer who had some nice cars just off lease. Somehow I think they may be better than the thin metal cans that he could be hurtling in down the highway at top speeds. Well, they may be closer to a tank after all.

I did look up the song. It was written by the Doors. The rest of it goes like this:
Yeah I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer
Well I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer,
Future's uncertain, and the end is always near.

Let it roll, baby roll.
Let it roll, baby roll.
Let it roll, baby roll.

Let it roll--- all night long.


I would like to know that the future for my precious son is certain and that the end is not near --but somehow--as the song remind us, this just isn't so.



1 comment:

KathyLikesPink said...

I was chatting with a hard-core Volvo owner not too long ago, and she said that now that Ford bought out Volvo, the new ones are not as tank-like. She said the big thing is to find an older one with not too much rust or too many miles. Don't know how true this is, just passing it along.

By the way, do you know what VOLVO stands for?

Vehicle OutLives Vehicle Owner