Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sex and the City

Well, I went. On Friday night. And I went with 15-20 women who I didn't know all that well. It was a hoot! I would have liked a couple of my other pals to go but they are too high brow and don't watch TV so Sex and the City would be lost on them. Oh well.

I was working all afternoon but played hooky to get some pink tissue paper in different shades to make a flower for each of the women. I had no idea how to make it so I looked it up on youtube. What a great invention! See here. I thought it would be funny to see the group from our town and plus we could identify each other in the crowd. Do you know people actually offered to pay me for the flowers??

The entire giant suburban theater was filled with women over 30 and most over 40. It was total girl power. There were only two men. I know this because my friend S. got their early to hold a place in line and we were almost the first ones in. My other friend SP. brought the Cosmos in Vitamin Water bottles. Very ingenious! We knew the movie was not oscar worthy and that wasn't the point. The clothes were great and the friendships were great.

We all went out afterwards to drink martinis and eat together and it was such fun. My friend C. go to come. She is a pal who was in my book group but we are both book group drop outs because the books were very serious and intense. I loved some of the books, but every single time? I was the one who recommended The Red Tent. It was like a comic book compared to the rest. Not that I didn't enjoy a lot of them. I never would have read through Blindness on my own. But for pete's sake, we couldn't even read anything off the Oprah book club list because it was deemed too commercial! We had a published writer, (actually two), a psychologist, a scientist, a recovering lawyer, and an industrial psychologist and fifty million degrees and a Rhodes Scholar, but we were too stupid to pick fun books once in a while. Though I do want to go back to the book club. I love the women in it..but I guess I needed a break.

And so, this is why we had to see Sex and the City the movie. Because it is stupid fun.
When the boys in Hollywood finally get it, they will realize it really doesn't take that much to please women. Less car chases and death, more happy endings. And with so many of us aging and earning, and by the way living longer than you do, you boys would do well to cater to us a little. Make the girls feel special. Your box office will be a lot richer...

1 comment:

helensw5 said...

I can't believe noone commented on this one. I was going to go but was away at the time and didn't. I have good reads from my book group. And Oprah's club read "The Sound and the Fury". Is that too lowbrow for your gang?
Just read and LOVED "A Year of Wonders" by Geraldine Brooks. Highly recommended.