Friday, June 27, 2008

Novel ideas

Well, we have been very busy at work. A good thing if your business is tied to employment figures which for most industries is going down. I haven't written in a long time and decided that even if I need to post something short to be in the regular rhythm again, I would do it.

My friends know that I have always dreamt of writing a book. I don't know why. Maybe I just love the "stories" of other people. I was always the kid quizzing the adults on their "love story" of how they met. The only one of my friends who surpasses me in constantly asking questions is my friend T the crackerjack journalist.

I thought that maybe I could write a book based on the stories I have from "head hunting". It could be sad and hilarious. Yesterday something happened which made me think about it again.

About two weeks ago we had a candidate who interviewed with a major financial institution. she was very excited to get the interview. It meant more money, more power in the future and any number of things that would help her. She was on her way to the interview on the subway and ran up the stairs and did something to her foot. I think she tripped on a curb. She went on to interview anyhow and though her foot was throbbing, hobbled into the interview late. the client thought it was a bit strange and wasn't clear on why she was late--but it went ok. She did not land the job and headed back overseas to her position.

Well we just got an email from her in her new job. Not from our client, they didn't hire her. She mentioned something about crutches and then we found out. She had broken four (!!!!) bones in her foot and wound up in a cast.

She almost "broke her neck" trying to get to the interview. It is lucky she only broke her foot.

True story.

No comments: